Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sun-Dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta

The majority of what I know for cooking comes from my mom, who was a Home Ec/Foods teacher for many years. One of the main things I learned from her was expermintation, and some of my favorite memories in the recent years have been her and I trying and inventing new recipes. (Oh and she doesn’t measure anything unless it is baking!) This is pasta she ccreated and I added little things to make it my own over the years. It is a quick and easy recipe with only 7 ingredients.
Note:You can usually find sun dried tomatoes in either the produce aisle or near the canned tomatoes. But you might have to search, one time I had a grocery store employee tell me they were out of season.


INGREDIENTS
1 bunch asparagus -chopped diagonally
2 chicken sausages – cut in half and then into slices about 1/4 inch thick. (I prefer any flavor of Aidell’s sausages, usually I use artichoke and garlic or habenero and green chile for a little kick) 1 jar (about 6-8 oz) Sun-dried tomatoes, julienne cut, in olive oil
½ yellow onion – cut in about 1” square chunks
2 cloves garlic
¼ c pine nuts
½ lb penne pasta
2 tbs Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese
Salt/Pepper

Boil water for pasta. When water is boiling add pasta. Heat Olive Oil in sauté pan. Add onion and sauté until cooked (they should become partially see through and also be flimsy. Add garlic, sausage and pine nuts. Cook for 3 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add sun –dried tomatoes with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3 minutes. When pasta is cooked (always taste test one!) drain and return to pot. Add veggie/sausage mix. Serve and top with Parmesan.