Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cooking for One...simple, cheap, and delicious!

I always have friends who tell me they can't cook for one person for cheaper than they can go out for. I beg to differ. And this blog is going to help me prove that you can! I live by myself in a studio with a small kitchen, no dishwasher and very little counter space. This is it:

Yep...that is all of my kitchen. Although I am normally cooking for myself, I love entertaining and cooking for others as well. And I make it work in that tiny kitchen! The majority of recipes that I will include on here will be for 2 servings. I always make 2 servings, and usually have the leftovers for lunch the next day. Although not everything I cook is glamourous, or restaurant ready, it is easy and most of the time I think it is delicious! Also, not every recipe is made from scratch, but uses different sauces and other ingredients that are pre-made. Recipes will follow but first, what I find to be the most important things of cooking for 1!



Keys to Single Cooking

  • Buy only what you need. You can easily plan out a couple days of recipes and buy at the store, but don't buy produce for what you won't eat in a week. Go to the store with a recipe in mind and a list of ingredients.

  • If you are buying bulk make sure it is non-perishable or can be frozen. I buy most of my meets in bigger batches and then freeze either one or two pieces in individual bags.

  • Have a set of good reusable tupperware. This makes it easier to save the second serving.

  • When planning your meal, check for common ingredients that you can use in multiple parts of the meal, such as herbs.

  • And what I feel is the biggest key to single cooking: Plan ahead. Think about a couple days, plan out the menu and make a grocery list. Only buy what is on your list. (That carton of ice-cream probably isn't!)

Happy Cooking!!