Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chicken Parmesan



This semi-homemade dinner is so easy and only takes about 30 minutes for prep and cooking. I love cheese, and parmesan is one of my favorites to include in meals, so this dish has a lot of it! I used the Three Cheese Marinara Sauce from Trader Joe’s, and other than that the rest of my ingredients were in my kitchen or fridge! I added the fresh herbs in because I had them, but any sort of Italian Dried herbs will work as well. (Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, etc.)

Ingredients:
Pasta
½ Jar (about 12 oz) Marinara Sauce
2 pieces Chicken
1 egg white
¼ c grated Parmesan Cheese
4-6 slices Parmesan Cheese
1/3 c Bread Crumbs
¼ c Basil chopped
¼ c Parsley chopped
1 tbs olive oil
Salt/pepper

Boil Water and cook pasta. (I used about ½ a box of bowtie pasta, which made me about 3 meals worth of pasta). Place egg white on plate or shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl mix together bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, ½ of the amount of basil and parsley and salt and pepper. Dip chicken into egg white coating on both sides. Dip chicken into breadcrumb mix coating on both sides. Heat olive oil in frying pan. Cook chicken on medium on each side for about 2 minutes. Pour Marinara Sauce in to frying pan around chicken. Place slices of Parmesan cheese on top of chicken. Cover frying pan and cook on Medium for about 20 minutes. (Time will vary depending on thickness of chicken, so make sure to watch carefully and cut into the chicken to check that it is cooked.) Pour marinara sauce onto pasta and add chicken on top.